Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Council Tax Enquiries


Birmingham City Council has a duty to maintain accurate records for billing and collection of Council Tax and Business Rates (National Non-Domestic Rates NNDR).

Essential Information
  • If you think your council tax bill is wrong please tell us as soon as possible so that we can issue an amended bill.

    You can email us at counciltax@birmingham.gov.uk or write to us at Birmingham City Council, Resources Department (Revenues and Benefits), PO Box 5, Birmingham, B4 7AB.

    Please give details of the decisions you do not agree with. We may ask you for more information so we can review our initial decision.

    Remember, you must still keep your payments up to date until your appeal is decided.

    When to appeal

    You can appeal if you think:

    • We have sent the bill to the wrong person
    • Your home should be exempt from council tax or
    • The amount of the bill is incorrect, for example if you think you're entitled to a discount or we haven't reduced the bill for a disability.

    If we agree your bill is wrong, we’ll send you a new one. If we decide it’s correct, we will contact you giving a full explanation.

    We have to make a decision within two months, although you should receive a response sooner than this. If you disagree with our decision, or we have taken longer than two months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. If you do this, you will need to do it within two months of our decision, or four months from when you first wrote to us if you haven’t had a response.

  • The council does not decide which band your property is in. If you are unhappy with your banding you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and ask them to review it.

    If you cannot reach agreement you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. For details of the process, please visit their website.

  • You can ask us to reconsider our decision:

    • to hold you liable for council tax, on your own or with someone else
    • not to award a discount or exemption
    • not to award a disabled reduction for your property
    • to issue a completion notice for a new or altered building

    Contact us:

    Email: counciltax@birmingham.gov.uk, OR write to

    Birmingham City Council
    Resources Directorate (Revenues and Benefits)
    PO Box 5
    Birmingham B4 7AB

    You will need to state clearly what it is you are asking us to reconsider and provide supporting evidence.

    We will respond in writing once we have reviewed our decision. We aim to do this within two months although you should receive a reply much sooner.

    • If we agree your liability is incorrect we will send you a revised bill
    • If we decide our original decision was correct we will provide you with a full written explanation and advise you of your right of appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months from the date of our response

    If you have not received a reply after two months you can appeal direct to the Valuation Tribunal within a further two months but we would ask that you contact us again first to check that we received your original request.

  • You can contact the Council Tax Office by various methods.

    We aim to respond to your letters, e-mails, faxes and forms within 14 days. At certain times of the year, due to high volumes of incoming correspondence, it is not always possible to meet this target. When this occurs, please be assured that we will respond to your enquiry in due course and your patience in these circumstances is appreciated.

    When you telephone our specially trained telephone team during published hours, the information you give will usually be dealt with immediately. If this is not possible, it will be actioned within 14 days.

    If you have a problem or want advice about your Council Tax account, please contact us by your preferred method.

    Please make sure that you quote your ten-digit account number on your correspondence.


    In Writing:
    Birmingham City Council
    Resources department (revenues and benefits)
    PO Box 5
    B4 7AB.

    Telephone:0121 303 1113 Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays).Please note that for quality and training purposes we may monitor and record your call.

    Text phone:0121 303 1119 For use by customers with hearing difficulties.
    Please note that this service is for registered users only.

    By Personal Visit:

    If you have been unable to resolve your problem online or by telephone you can get further advice from a Customer Service Centre but you will need to book an appointment before your visit.

  • What is a Completion Notice?

    A Completion Notice is a document that specifies the 'completion date' for newly built properties. It is the date on which the property becomes a dwelling for Council Tax purposes, and is the date it is entered into the Valuation list.

    The council can issue a completion notice if it believes a property that is not in the valuation list can be completed within three months.

    If you disagree with the date we have used contact us and we may agree to change it and issue a new notice.

    If we cannot agree a date you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal (VT). For details of the process, please go to their website.

    The VT will accept your appeal as long as:

    • it is a matter they are allowed by law to consider. i.e. related to a completion notice, AND
    • we have written to you no more than two months previously confirming our decision and your right of appeal, OR
    • it is more than four months since you made a written request that we reconsider the matter and we have not responded to you in writing

    They cannot make a decision in relation to:

    • the manner in which the council has handled the matter, for instance the advice that you were given or delays in replying to you

    You may wish to instruct an agent or surveyor to appeal on your behalf but they will charge you.

    The council does not endorse particular companies or individuals but you are advised to deal only with qualified members of the IRRV or RICS.

  • "This charter sets out the service that you can expect from the Council Tax office. It shows the standards we have set and want to maintain. As a Council Taxpayer you have the right to a high quality service."

    Mark Rogers - Chief Executive

    The Council Tax Office will:
    • send out accurate council tax bills
    • collect council tax promptly and efficiently
    • deal with your enquiries promptly and efficiently
    • provide clear and up-to-date information
    • help you understand your rights and obligations
    • continually improve our standards and services
    • give value for money in our services.

    We will also:

    • tell you what our standards are
    • provide clear information
    • ask for your views.

    Follow up any complaints received and provide a full explanation of our findings (please see "How to Complain" at the bottom of this page).

    Formal complaints will be investigated by a senior manager who will tell you the outcome and may need to interview you about your complaint. These standards have been set and are in place. We regularly review our performance and the standard of service we provide.

    Letters, Emails and Other Documents

    • your letters/emails will be actioned or responded to within 10 working days of being received. All of your questions will be answered
    • claims for exemptions and discounts will be actioned within 10 working days of receiving all the necessary information
    • replies will be signed by the person dealing with your enquiry
    • during peak periods, for example during March when the new bills have been sent out, it may take a little longer to deal with your enquiry.

    Telephone Calls

    • our specially trained telephone answering team is available to take your call during the publicised hours
    • the information you give will usually be dealt with immediately
    • all of your questions will be answered
    • we know that some customers have difficulty getting through at very busy times. We have employed more staff to take your calls, and we will be monitoring this area closely

    Our Staff will:

    • be well trained
    • be courteous, helpful and patient
    • be fair
    • make every effort to answer your questions
    • tell you your rights
    • explain council tax law
    • give their name when you ask
    • provide help in a number of languages.

    We have a duty to collect Council Tax from all taxpayers. We will:

    • send bills within 10 working days of receiving the required information
    • provide a variety of payment methods
    • make payment arrangements with taxpayers in difficulty
    • take prompt recovery action
    • chase payment from those who will not pay.
Frequently Asked Questions
    • In most cases at least one resident is liable to pay. However, it’s the owners of the following types of property who have to pay and not the people who live there:

      • Residential care homes
      • Houses split into different households
      • Religious communities
      • Houses for residential staff
      • Certain properties for religious ministers and
      • Houses for asylum seekers.