Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Council Tax Support


As part of Welfare Reform the Government has announced that Council Tax Benefit is to be abolished and replaced from April 2013 by new local financial support schemes, called Council Tax Support.

The Council Tax Support scheme will provide 100% protection to the following claimant or their partner who :

  • is a pensioner
  • is entitled to a disability premium or disabled child premium
  • is entitled to Employment Support Allowance and who also receives a qualifying disability related benefit
  • receives a carers premium
  • receives a war disablement pension, war widows pension or war widower’s pension
  • has a dependant child under 6

Claimants of working age (other than those listed above) will now have to make a contribution themselves towards their Council Tax bill.

As Council Tax Support will be calculated as a means tested discount, the amount each household will have to pay towards their Council Tax will be dependent on their individual circumstances.

How to make a claim for Council Tax Support

All existing council tax benefit claimants will automatically transfer to council tax support. To make a new claim for council tax support complete the online form. It is important to read the information and details required on the page before you start to apply. Report any changes to your circumstances straight away.

Essential Information
  • If you do not fully understand how we have made a decision on your Council Tax Support claim you can write to us and ask for a more detailed explanation. This must be done within one month of the date on your decision letter.

    You can challenge any decision we make on your Council Tax Support claim at anytime if you think that the entitlement is wrong or the amount of Council Tax Support awarded to you is wrong. You would need to write to us requesting that the decision is looked at again, giving details of why you think it is incorrect.

    If you still disagree with our decision, or you have not received a response within two months of your challenge, you can appeal to an independent body called the Valuation Tribunal.

    You may not agree with the Council Tax Support Scheme that Birmingham City Council has set up but please be aware that you can only appeal to the Valuation Tribunal against a decision regarding Council Tax Support and not against the scheme itself.

    The above details are included in an attachment to be found on this page.

  • Council Tax Support entitlement may change if you have other adults (apart from your partner) living with you.

    Deductions can be made from the amount of benefit you get if you share your home with any adults who are not dependant on you – for example, adult children, relatives or friends. These deductions are made because it is assumed that these people should pay something towards your Council Tax, whether they actually do so or not. If you are in this position you may already be aware that these are called non dependant deductions.

    The amount deducted from your Council Tax Support entitlement is based on the weekly gross income of the non dependant.

    The deductions for 2014/15 are as follows:

    Income Group of Non- Dependant CTS
    Persons in receipt of Income Support, JSA (IB), ESA (IR) Assessment or Pension Credit NIL
    Aged 18 and in remunerative work with a weekly gross income of:
    up to £188.00 £3.70
    £188.00 to £325.99 £7.45
    £326.00 to £405.99 £9.40
    over £406.00 £11.25

  • The Council Tax Support Discretionary Hardship Payment Scheme is a limited fund that is awarded as a short term measure to help claimants affected by the Council Tax Support scheme, who are experiencing extreme financial difficulty.

    To help us decide on your case, we need you to print off the application form and complete the relevant information by giving details of your income and spending. Once complete, you should sign the form and send it to the address shown on page 3 of the application form.


    Please note whilst your claim is being processed you MUSTcontinue to pay your Council Tax bill by the due dates.