FIS Plus is a new free service for parents of a child or young person (aged 0 to 19 years) with a disability and aims to provide you with more information about activities and support services across Birmingham. FIS Plus is the replacement to the existing Disabled Children’s Register and is a requirement under the Children Act 1989.
By joining you will have access to a trained advisor who can:
- help families find appropriate services, activities and events that are tailored for disabled children, including signposting to information on welfare benefits, grant funding assistance, etc
- provide information about events, activities and services in your area that may cater for your child’s likes and needs
and you will automatically receive all of our publications.
Your child will remain on the register until their 20th birthday unless you or they request that their details are removed before this time.
Joining FIS Plus is voluntary and you can choose whether you want your child on, or removed from, the database. We will contact you every two years to see if your circumstances have changed and whether you would like your child to remain on the database and continue to receive FIS Plus services.
If you have any queries or are finding it difficult to find services, activities or events for your disabled child you can complete the online enquiry form and tell us the information you would like to receive.
- Parents Views Count
- National Council for Disabled Children
- Action for Kids
- GOV.UK – How to apply for Benefits
- GOV.UK – Benefit Calculator
- GOV.UK – Financial Help if you are Disabled
- Citizens Advice Bureaux – Debt Advice