Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 20th December 2014 between 8.00am and 8.00pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Free School Meals
This page is known as: www.birmingham.gov.uk/free-school-meals
Free Meal Entitlement Criteria
Free School Meals is a benefit awarded in respect of children under the age of 19 where the parent or guardian is in receipt of one of the benefits shown below:
- Income Support;
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IB JSA);
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- Child Tax Credit
- The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit (only during the 4 week period immediately after their employment finishes).
nb: Children in receipt of Income Support and Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA) in their own right are also entitled to free school meals.
By Law no other category of support payment or combination of Tax Credits qualify for free school meals. Similarly, there are no other circumstances that can legally justify the provision of a free meal.
- Parents / carers with entitlement to Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance (Income based) will have received a letter from the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) granting or stating that they are entitled.
For those in receipt of the Guaranteed element of Pension Credit it is suggested that parents produce their Pension Credit M1000 Award Notice as proof of entitlement.
- Those receiving Child Tax Credit will continue to receive HM Revenue & Customs form TC602 that should be presented to secretaries as proof of free meal entitlement via that criterion.
Money received each week through Working Tax Credit benefit includes an amount for Free School Meals. This means that you do not qualify for a free meal if you receive it.