In Year Admissions
The normal intake for school admissions relates to children moving from Primary to Secondary School or starting Reception Class
If you wish to apply for a school place after the normal intake in September, or for a place in any other year group, then you must apply using our ‘Application for a Change of School In Year’ Form.
Parents / carers who are resident in Birmingham can apply for any School or Academy in Birmingham, or School in a neighbouring authority, by completing the form.
In-Year admissions arise as a result of:
- Parents / carers moving into Birmingham and do not have a school place for their child.
- Parents / carers moving within Birmingham and their child already have a school place, but can no longer attend.
- Parents / carers who live in Birmingham and are not moving, but would like their child to change school.
Your application will give you the opportunity:
- To express up to 3 schools of your preference inside and outside of Birmingham
- Rank each school in the order you prefer.
- Give reasons for your application.
Your application will result in one of following:
- If the school you request has available places, your child will be offered a place at that school.
- If the school you request has more applications than there are places available the governing body or the local authority uses the school’s admission criteria to decide who qualifies best for a place.
- If the school you request is already over subscribed your child is placed on a waiting list and offered a place at the nearest available school which has a vacancy. You are also be informed of your right to appeal.
Schools outside Birmingham
If you have applied for any schools outside Birmingham, we provide details of your application to the relevant local authority to determine whether a place can be offered at the school. Their decision must be communicated to the School Admissions and Pupil Placements Service (See contact detail in the essential information section) within 15 school days.
The following oversubscription criteria will be used for external applicants at community schools when there are more applications than places available:
- Looked after child (in public care).
- Where the child has a brother or sister currently attending the school.
- Proximity of the child’s home address to the school, with those living nearest in a straight line measurement given priority.
Please see individual academy, foundation, grammar and voluntary aided schools for their Year 12 entry requirements.
Please note, entry to Year 12 is not dependent upon attendance or behaviour records. Applicants refused a place in Year 12 are entitled to appeal to an independent appeal panel.