Getting social care if you are under 65
What is my Support Plan?
Your support plan is what you use to tell us how you want to spend your individual budget to organise the services and support that will meet your social care needs. (Your individual budget is the money we give you to pay for the services and support you need. To find out more, please see the Individual budgets page.)
Your support plan also helps other people to know what you want so they can do their best to support you.
How will my support plan help me?
Your support plan gives you as much control as you want over your services and support and how they meet your needs.
Support planning allows you to think about your life and decide what you want to change and what you want to stay the same. When you fill in the ‘My Support Plan’ form, you will be able to:
- make a plan of the changes you want to make
- decide what support you would like to help you make these changes
- decide who will support you to do this and when
- include any risks or worries you have
- decide how to manage your individual budget.
You can fill the My Support Plan form with or without help. If you would like help, you can ask your social care worker, a family member, friend, carer or other support person to fill it in for you. You may want different people to help you with different parts of your support plan.
What happens next?
The services in your support plan will start as soon as possible after you have agreed the details in the plan with your social care worker.
After a few weeks, we will contact you to find out how you are getting on with your support plan. Your social care worker will talk to you about whether:
- your needs have changed since your last assessment
- your individual budget is helping you get the support you need
- to adjust your support plan to make it even better
- you are happy with the support you are getting.
Leaflets and documents
If you would like any of our leaflets, forms or other documents in another language, in Braille, in large print or as an audio version on CD, please phone the Communications team on 0121 464 3123. All our adult social care leaflets, forms and documents are free in any format.