Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable tonight from 8.00pm until 2.00am tomorrow morning.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Cemeteries and Crematoria - Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium
A Brief History
In 1883 the 8 acre Yardley Cemetery was opened to relieve the churchyard of Yardley Parish Church. On the extension of Birmingham's boundary in 1911, the administration of the cemetery was taken over by Birmingham Corporation. The cemetery is now some 64 acres, with the last extension of 35 acres occurring in 1921. Although the cemetery served the local community well, interest in cremation was growing, which led the City Council to adopt one of the chapels for cremation purposes. The crematorium was opened in 1952 and, during the first year, over 1200 cremations took place.
Yardley Cemetery has no land for new full graves as it reached capacity in 1962. Full interments, burial or scattering of cremated remains continue to take place in private family graves.
A Cremated Remains section was opened in 2009 for the interment of Cremated Remains. These graves are still available to purchase for the burial of up to two sets of Cremated Remains.
A wide variety of memorial designs are present within the cemetery, however the type of memorial permissible will be determined by the type of section in which a grave lies.
On a Lawn type section a headstone type memorial only is permissible. Kerbing, fencing or chippings are not permitted, however the ground may be cultivated up to 18" (46cm) from the headstone.
On a Traditional section a headstone and/or kerb set which runs the length of the grave are permissible. Again no fencing is permissible.
A copy of the Rules and Regulations relating to the cemetery and crematorium can be obtained from the cemetery office.
Birmingham City Council's Bereavement Services are pleased to announce the successful introduction of 45 minute services at Yardley Crematorium.
This recent move from 30 - 45 minute service intervals provides a more relaxed and dignified atmosphere during a difficult time and has been welcomed by families and officiates alike. The chapel which comfortably accommodates up to 166 seated mourners is available from 9:15am - 3:15pm Monday to Friday.
For more information regarding this improvement or any other facilities, which are available, please contact the cemetery office.
There is a waiting room, a vestry and toilet facilities, including provision for the disabled at the crematorium. The chapel has an induction loop system and hymn books in braille. An organist is available and CD's or tapes may also be played. It is easily accessible from the main drives and there is ample parking. On the three sides of the chapel are the Gardens of Remembrance for the reverent dispersal of cremated remains.
In addition to these are the Gardens of Remembrance located off the main driveway. These are laid out as lawns with flowerbeds and shrubs; seats are placed to harmonize with the surroundings and so provide visitors with a garden of rest and seclusion. The Memorial Rose Garden is located off the main driveway close to the crematorium chapel. There is no provision to scatter remains in this area.
A variety of memorials are available for the commemoration of a loved one. Please contact the office and we can provide a detailed information brochure and price list.
Memorial kerbs border the pathways in the Memorial Rose Garden. The memorial consists of a permanently fixed kerb base into which is set a commemorative plaque. They incorporate a flower vase for the placement of floral tributes.
Memorial Wall Plaques
Memorial walls are located on the Gardens surrounding the crematorium chapel and also in the Rose Garden.
Three colour options are available for the above types of memorials, and motifs may also be engraved. Both the kerbs and plaques can be provided with a photographic miniature if desired.
Book of Remembrance
The Book of Remembrance is on display in the memorial room at the crematorium. Entries are made by hand and a page is provided for each day of the year. Inscriptions can consist of 2, 5 or 8 lines and badges, floral motifs etc may be included with a 5 or 8 line entry at an additional cost.
A commemorative photograph of your entry is also available.
Memorial benches may be purchased in memory of a loved one. They may be placed in a chosen spot within the cemetery grounds in consultation with a member of the office staff.
Temporary Memorials - (up to 24 months)
Perspex Grave Markers are offered with or without a wooden ground fixing stake and can be fully personalised. These are available in either Gold or Silver.
Inscriptions can be complimented by the addition of motifs or photographs.
For further details and prices please speak to a member of the cemetery office.
HOW TO FIND US
Travelling by Road:-
From Birmingham take the Coventry Road A45, look for the sign indicating the crematorium and turn right at the Swan Island onto Yardley Road A4040. The main entrance to the cemetery is located on Yardley Road at the island of Stockfield Road (junction of A4040/B4146).
From the M42 come off at Junction 6 taking the A45 Coventry Road heading towards Birmingham. At Yardley look for the sign indicating the crematorium on the left and turn at the Swan Island into Yardley Road A4040.
Travelling by Bus:-
From Birmingham take the No's 57, 58, 60 or 900 - disembark at the Swan Island Coventry Road. The entrance to Yardley Cemetery is situated on the A4040 Yardley Road (outer circle bus route No. 11).
Travelling by Train:-
From Acocks Green Station take the No. 11 bus which stops outside the main entrance.
To view a location map for Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium, please follow the link at the foot of the page.
Tel: 0121 675 8825 Fax: 0121 706 9142
The Cemetery and Crematorium grounds will be open to visitors:
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays
February, March, April,
May, June, July, August,
Special times for opening and closing apply on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
For further details of these times, please contact the cemetery office.
Location of Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium