Gun Barrel Proof House
Gun Barrel Proof House,
Before the 1880s almost all the guns made in Britain were made in Birmingham. Until 1813, however, all had to go to London to be tested. In that year the Birmingham Proof House, designed by John Horton, opened.
The buildings, which now also house a museum and library, are grouped around a small central courtyard. Above the central door is a magnificent collection of trophies, the work of the sculptor William Hollins.
The Proof House has its own website, www.gunproof.com