Environmental Information: Hazardous Substances
Register of Hazardous Substances Consents
The register holds a copy of:
(1) The name and address and area of the site each application for hazardous substances consent or continuation of consent (if a site contains more than a certain quantity of hazardous substances then it is necessary to obtain consent from the hazardous substances authority);
(2) A description of the activities on the site the decision of the hazardous substances authority or the Secretary of State for the Environment;
(3) The name and maximum quantity liable to be on the site of each hazardous substance being notified. a copy of each order revoking or modifying a consent;
(4) A copy of each claim for a deemed consent (this is a consent that could be claimed where a hazardous substance was present at a site in the 12 months before June 1992. It allows existing users and storers of hazardous substances to continue their previous operations subject to standard conditions);
(5) A copy of each direction by the Secretary of State granting temporary exemption; and
(6) The decision on each hazardous substances consent appeal or contravention notice.
Contact your local planning department for more information or to view the register.
Register of details of manufacturers/sites subject to the CIMAH Regulations
The register contains details of manufacturers who have control of an industrial activity which could give rise to a major accident, including:
(1) the name and address of the site and an explanation of the activity undertaken on the site;
(2) names of any substances which could give rise to a major accident; and
(3) details of arrangements in place to deal with accidents and minimise their effects.
Contact the City Council's Health and Safety at Work Team for further information or to access the CIMAH register.
Register of particulars of large scale hazardous installations
The register contains details of large-scale hazardous installations which are likely to come under control for reasons other than their waste storage activities, including:
(i) the name and address and area of the site;
(ii) a description of the activities on the site; and
(iii) the name and maximum quantity liable to be on the site of each hazardous substance being notified.
For further information or to view the register contact the Environment Agency.
Register of sites holding 25 tonnes of dangerous substances
The register contains notifications from sites; notification must be made before the 25 tonnes limit is exceeded (unless the site has already been notified under the CIMAH or NIHHS regulations described above).
For further information or to view the register contact the Health and Safety Executive
Register of Explosives where explosives are manufactured or handled
Contains the names and addresses of sites where explosives are manufactured or handled. For more information contact the West Midlands Fire Service