Active Plus - Information for surgeries
Referring a patient
If you would like to refer a patient please complete a Be active plus referral form, or a Birmingham Lifestyle Services Referral Form (completing section D1) and send it to the Be active plus office:
Fax: 0121 464 6035
40 Moat Lane
Reports are available on Be active plus – if you would like a copy please contact the team on the details above.
Information from the exit stage of Be active plus
Number of people who have completed Be active plus since their start in April 2012 is 380
(note: patients are on the scheme for 3 months and so many results are still pending)
7 day PAR results.
Self reported physical activity participation rates in the previous 7 days.
- Average increase of 57 mins in physical activity participation including walking (84% increase)
- Average increase of 69 mins in physical activity participation excluding walking (230% increase)
Blood pressure and resting heart rate
- Average decrease of 3 mmHg for the systolic score
- Average decrease of 2 mmHg for the diastolic score
- Average decrease of 2 beats per minute for resting heart rate
Body Mass Index
- Average decrease of 0.6 units
- Average reduces from 33.5 to 32.9 – a 1.8% decrease
Note: both scores are still in the obese category
Patients are asked to complete a mental health questionnaire – WEMWBS – which provides a score the higher the number the better their mental health.
- Average increase of 2 points (6% increase)
Note: the questionnaire is not designed to measure changes over time, rather for statistics for populations as a whole
Patients are asked how many alcohol free days they have each week.
- The average score remains at 6 alcohol free days per week at start and exit.
The results are pleasing - all results are positive
The results provide objective data that people are being much more active during their time on Be active plus with the 7 PAR results, which is the main aim of the scheme.
For more details contact:
Sarah Barge – Health and Fitness Manager – 464 6056 or email@example.com