|2001 Census of Population: Key Statistics
There is further Census information available about Birmingham wards and other areas on our Key Statistics Pages and also on the Birmingham Economy web pages.
A ccording to the 2001 Population Census there were 27,822 people resident in Washwood Heath.
- The area is 5.2 square km in size, with a population density of 5,335 people per square km, this compares with 3,649 people per square km for Birmingham.
- 30.7% of people were aged under 16, 53.7% were aged between 16 and 59, while 15.6% were aged over 60. The average age was 31.8, compared with 36 years for Birmingham.
- The minority ethnic population made up 57% (15,863) of the wards population, compared with 29.6% for Birmingham.
- 53.9% of households were owner occupied and 33.3% were rented from either the local authority, housing association or other registered social landlord. The remaining 12.8% of households rented privately or lived rent free.
- The Census found that 8,791 (49.2%) of the population aged 16 to 74 were working or seeking work, this compared with 60.4% for Birmingham.
Source: Census 2001, Crown Copyright.