Access to Personal Information Records
Guidance notes for applying for access to your personal information/record(s)
Any personal information that you provide on the Access to Personal Information / Record(s) request form may be used by Birmingham City Council for the purpose of:
- validating your identity;
- providing you with the information that you are seeking;
- ensuring that our records are accurate and up to date.
In order for Birmingham City Council to comply with a request for Access to Personal Information / Record(s) it may:
- require you to provide proof of your identity;
- need to share some of the information on the request form with other departments within the Council in order to identify / locate the information that is being sought;
- be necessary for the Council to seek consent from any third parties who is to be identified in the information being sought;
- be necessary for the Council to seek consent from any third parties who have provided information that is being sought.
Applying for information/record(s)
When completing the Subject Access Request form please use a pen and print clearly.
If you are applying for a copy of your own personal information / record(s), please complete sections 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of the Subject Access Request form, Please ensure that you sign section 6.
If you are making a request on behalf of someone who is unable to make the request themselves, please complete all sections of the Subject Access Request form. Please ensure that you sign section 6.
In order to help us identify / locate the information that you are seeking as quickly as possible, and avoid the need to have to come back to you to seek more information, please provide us with as much detail as you can on the request form or on a separate sheet of paper if necessary. For example:
- Information / record(s) being requested - please be as specific as you can by giving us the details of the information you require, the department, any reference numbers, dates, etc.
- Additional information - please tell us if you have been known by any other name(s) or previous addresses that you may have lived at, etc.
When you have completed the request form you can return it to our office:
Birmingham City Council
Corporate Information Governance Team
Performance and Information Division
PO Box 16366
Tel. 0121 303 4876
Fax. 0121 675 1427
If you have any questions or you require assistance, please feel free to contact the Corporate Information Governance Team.
If you are requesting Social Care records, please complete this form:
If you are requesting other records held by Council, please complete this form: