This map was 'Printed and Published by Richard Davies, Temple Row, (opposite Dee's Royal Hotel ) and No. 6, Colmore Row, (opposite the Blue Coat School )'. The full title is 'Davies's new map of Birmingham, Strangers' Guide, and Street Directory'. The original, held in the Archives and Heritage section of Birmingham Central Library, includes a range of local information - a list of major showroom and manufactories, hotels and inns and museums, plus travel information - railway stations, coach and omnibus offices and hackney coach fares.
In 1841 both the Town Hall and King Edward VI Grammar School were new buildings. The Town Hall was built in 1834 'by Mr Hill of London', and cost ,000. The new King Edward's School building, illustrated in the corner of the map, was designed by Sir Charles Barry, later architect of the Houses of Parliament. It was situated at the lower end of New Street, and was there until it was demolished and the school moved to Edgbaston in the late 1930s.