Sheldon Local History Group
Sheldon Local History Group (SLHG) was formed in September 2002. It is based at Sheldon Library and meets the third Thursday of every month between 11am-12noon. So far the group has had a range of interesting speakers talking about various aspects of local history in Birmingham and its surrounding areas.
Membership of the group is approximately 20 - 25. There is a yearly subscription of £7, alternatively a small fee is charged for non-members attending meetings.
Images of bygone Sheldon
Thursday 15 November "Curiosities of Birmingham" with Judy Bates
Thursday 20 December "History of Handsworth Park" with Simon Baddeley
Previous speakers at Sheldon Local History Group
- Laurel and Hardy Midland Connections with John Ullah
"Read All About it" with Vanessa Morgan
David Donovan "History of the Birmingham Mint". Photographs of the "History of Birmingham Mint" event
- "Black and Asian Contribution to World War II" - a DVD and talk by Robert Lalljie
- Barbara Ellerslie "Midlands Connections with the Gunpowder Plot"
- Peter Leather "Historic Buildings of Birmingham"
- Elizabeth Perkins "The Court 15 Back to Back Project"
- John Aitken " A Tale of two Suburbs" Edgbaston and Bournville compared
- Miss M Fogg "Smallbroke Family of Birmingham "
- Mary Elizabeth Marshall: A Story From Our Family History" by Alice and Brian Randle.
- "Acocks Green 1940s to 1970s Part 1" with Mike Byrne
- "The Changing Times of Aston Hall" a talk on recent developments with staff from the hall
- "Brumroamin" a talk by Ted Rudge
- "Charles Dickens, Warwickshire and the Great Jennens case" with Laurence Ince
- "Small Heath, Then and Now: Part 2" with Val Comb and Edna Somen