Safer cycling near HGV’s
HGVs have significant blind spots where cyclist are invisible. Follow the tips below to protect yourself.
- Cycle sensibly and assertively to help yourself stay safe
- Recognise that lorry drivers may not be able to see you
- Never cycle up the left hand side of a lorry stopped at a junction
- Look out for lorries turning left from beside or behind you.
- Don’t stop too close to the front of a stopped lorry.
- Take up a visible position at lights: three metres out in front and not by the left kerb or very close to the lorry.
If you wish to find out more you can watch a video clip produced by Transport for London on safer cycling near lorries.
Birmingham City Council and the Freight Transport Association (FTA) are forming a closer working relationship to improve cycling safety through greater driver and cyclist awareness.