Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Advertisement

Advertising

St. Philip's Cathedral

St. Philip's Church was consecrated in 1715, having been designed by Thomas Archer in the baroque style.

When Birmingham became a bishopric in 1905, St Philip's, despite rival claims from St Martin's, became its cathedral.

A statue of the first bishop, Charles Gore, stands by the west door. Inside there are fine windows by Burne-Jones, for which the artist waived his fee, being himself a Birmingham man.

Website:www.birminghamcathedral.com

Information about external links on birmingham.gov.uk