Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk




Buildings Insurance

Most leases say the council must arrange the insurance of the building (not the contents) and charge the cost as a service charge. The law also says the council must insure the building.

This is normal for buildings divided into flats, as it is important there should be one single policy covering fire and other risks to the whole building.

Leaseholders can request a summary of Buildings Insurance by contacting the Leasehold Team.

You can also ask to see the full policy and take copies of the policy by contacting Insurance & Employee Facilities (WS), PO Box 16340, Birmingham, B2 2YN, telephone 0121 303 3288.

New Insurance Contract

From 1 April 2010, Zurich Municipal were awarded the new contract to provide a block building insurance policy for Birmingham City Council's leasehold properties for a period of three years.

This policy provides a standard household building insurance cover for housing 'right to buy' leaseholders in blocks of flats and maisonettes, where the council remains the freeholder. The new policy covers loss or damage to your home caused by the following:

  • fire, lightning, explosion, or earthquake
  • riot, malicious damage
  • subterranean fire, storm, or flood
  • aircraft
  • escape of water
  • leakage of oil
  • falling trees
  • theft
  • impact
  • aerial breakage
  • accidental breakage of fixed glass and fixed sanitary wear
  • accidental damage to supply pipes and cables
  • subsidence.

To make a claim or for advice and assistance please contact Zurich Municipal Property Claims Office on 0870 241 8050 between 8am and 6pm quoting policy number HB-02G031-0811. Alternatively you can contact Zurich by email at zmpropertyclaims@uk.zurich.com

In the case of an emergency outside of office hours, 6pm-8am, there is an out of hours service where you can obtain help and advice - please call 08000 280336.

Contents Insurance

Leaseholders are responsible for arranging their own Household Contents Insurance.

However, Birmingham City Council recognised the problems that tenants and leaseholders faced in getting insurance and therefore set up a Contents Insurance Scheme which is geared towards your needs – set up with Royal Sun Alliance.

The council strongly advises all leaseholders to take out Household Contents Insurance. Leaseholders can do this through the above mentioned scheme or by making their own private arrangements.

Contact the Leasehold Team
Postal Address Mole Street
B11 1XA
Email Address
Telephone Telephone Number: 0121 303 2147 / 2148