Due to essential maintenance, the website may be unavailable during the weekend. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Durability Assessments and Concrete Condition Surveys
Birmingham City Laboratories has gained extensive knowledge investigating and surveying a wide range of structures; these include bridges, tunnels, coastal defences, historic buildings, multi-storey car parks, high rise buildings, system built dwellings, swimming pools, industrial facilities and office buildings.
Understanding the design, material characteristics and deterioration processes affecting a particular building or structure is essential in diagnosing the causation and extent of defects affecting that structure. This enables a durable and cost effective repair to be instigated and decisions made with regard to life-costing.
At BCL we provide in depth reports detailing our findings and also provide advice on the most appropriate repair strategies and systems.
Undertaking a sufficient and appropriate survey is a requirement of BS EN 1504, products and systems for the protection and repair of concrete structures.
Detailed below are some of our key services:-
Investigation of deterioration related to reinforcement corrosion
- visual inspection and defect survey
- delamination survey [tapping survey]
- cover meter survey
- carbonation depth
- chloride determinations and profiling
- half-cell potential survey
- resistivity survey
- reinforcement condition and detail [inspection/ferroscan]
Concrete quality and deterioration
- fire damage investigation
- alkali silica reaction assessment
- investigation of sulphate attack
- chemical, abrasion and impact damage
- construction defects and poor workmanship
- core sampling
- petrographic examination
- compressive strength testing
- cement content and cement type determination
- chemical analysis