Due to essential maintenance, the website may be unavailable during the weekend. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Health Education Service
About usThe Health Education Service is a National Centre of Excellence for Citizenship and Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Safeguarding. It was established in 1990 and works, locally with all schools, public health services and companies, nationally with all government departments, internationally with counterparts within the EU and across the country whilst still retaining the focus on working for the best outcomes for children and young people within Birmingham.
The Health Education Service (HES) mission is to enable schools, services and educational settings to improve their policy, practice and ethos in health and well-being through support for:
- Leadership and strategic management including national and local strategy development and implementation;
- Workforce development; and
- Curriculum development.
to improve the life-skills and life chances of children.
The HES works with schools, services, agencies and companies to improve practice and provision of:
- Alcohol education, smoking education
- Citizenship and pupil voice, school councils
- Drug education, drug related incidents
- Early Years Healthy Settings Award
- Emotional well-being including circle time, bullying, SEAL
- Food and nutrition, eating disorders, food safety
- Management of medicines, first aid
- Healthy School Programme
- National PSHE CPD
- PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education)
- Safeguarding and child protection
- Sex and relationship education.
The HES is a fully traded service that is currently within Birmingham City Council, although it is planned that the HES will become a social enterprise in the near future (Sept 2012).
Working togetherWe would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about opportunities of collaborative working in any aspect of Citizenship, PSHE and Safeguarding that will promote the health and welfare of children and young people.
Contact for Business Enquiries:
Head of Service
See the Health Education Service web for more information: www.bgfl.org/hes