Victoria Square stands at the junction of three streets; New Street, Paradise Street and Colmore Row. After the Council House was built in the 1870s it was known as Council House Square. It became Victoria Square after the arrival of the statue of Queen Victoria in 1901.
Between August 1992 and June 1993, Victoria Square was completely redesigned at a cost of £0.2 million. Only the statue of Queen Victoria remains in its original location. The square was re-opened by Diana, the Princess of Wales on 6 May 1993.
Copyright: 2011 Birmingham City Council