Street Naming and Numbering
Proposals to name a new road
Where Developers wish to use their own suggestions for new road names, proposals should include:
- A reason for the choice of name.
- A plan showing the street to which the name applies, identifying property entrances.
- A list of relevant parties having an interest in the street with their agreement to the choice of name.
- Names should have a local connection, historically, geographically or culturally.
- Names of living people should not be used.
- Names should not have a commercial connection.
- Names should not be duplicated within the same postcode district e.g. B12 or within Birmingham.
Naming of roads is a legal process and once a new street name has been officially approved, it cannot be renamed without a statutory order.
For more information about Street Naming and Numbering, please see the following pages: