Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Advertisement

Advertising

War Memorials: Electric Supply Department

This bronze memorial has been moved to the Council House, near to the main reception. It is not in a public area, but may be viewed on request.

It commemorates staff from the part of the council which, at the time, supplied the city's electricity.

Beneath a full-colour copy of the City's coat of arms, rendered in enamel, the text, all in upper case, reads:

City of Birmingham
Electricity Supply
Department

This tablet was erected by the employees of this department to perpetuate the glorious memory of their colleagues who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.

The panels on either side list the names of 31 of the fallen.

  • Adlington, L. D.
  • Bates, J. T.
  • Bearman, E.
  • Bowker, R. B.
  • Boyd, C. F.
  • Brearley, N. B.
  • Brown, H. A.
  • Cullis, E. H.
  • Dicks, H. H.
  • Dowler, A. R.
  • Finn, O.
  • Foskett, F. C.
  • Gough, H.
  • Gray, H. W.
  • Greatrix, W.
  • Hogan, J.
  • Hickling, W.
  • James, L.
  • Johnson, A. J.
  • Middleton, W.
  • Meek, G. A.
  • Peach, B. D.
  • Perks, A. E.
  • Price, T. A.
  • Rawlings, A.
  • Sharp, J. D.
  • Shepherd, A.
  • Treglown, R. C.
  • Tudor, A. E.
  • Vincent, W.
  • White, C. R.

A War Relief Fund was set up on 14 August 1914 for staff who were in the armed forces and their families. An article on the Electrical Supply Department Relief Fund was written by J P Lethbridge for The Western Front Association and is reproduced, by kind permission of the author, at Electrical Relief Fund