Shortcut to this page : www.birmingham.gov.uk/eastsidemasterplan
This document builds on the vision and broad principles for the future regeneration of Eastside as an "Area of Transformation" - established in the Big City Plan - City Centre Masterplan and Draft Core Strategy.
We have taken a fresh look at promoting Eastside and bringing forward development opportunities in light of the proposed High Speed 2 line and station. We've done this by:
- Promoting the cultural and educational role of Eastside
- Establishing the urban design principles for the HS2 station building and key public spaces and routes
- Demonstrating how the new Eastside City Park complements the HS2 proposals and establishes longer term principles for its evolution
- Identifying new and improved connections through Eastside and into adjoining city quarters to promote wider regeneration
- Identifying changes and enhancements to transport networks to ensure accessibility into the quarter by all modes of travel to all destinations
- Retaining and enhancing the existing character and distinctiveness of the area, using the heritage assets of the quarter as an inspirational staring point
- Proposing a strategy for delivery
The masterplan is based on the creation of a “Sequence of Places” which will add a unique character to the area and deliver development opportunities to complete the regeneration of Eastside ensuring it continues to be a thriving part of the city centre.
We asked for your comments on this document in February / March 2012. We are now considering the comments received to help us decide which proposals to take forward. The document may also be amended in the light of the comments, where appropriate. It is anticipated the document will be adopted later this year. A copy of the plan and its boundary are below.
Document Status : Draft - consultation responses under consideration.
Last Updated : 16th April 2012