Redevelopment of the Paradise area of the city centre will start in 2015. Read more.
Birmingham Connected sets a new direction for transport. It ushers in a new era of choice for how we move people and goods, deliver projects and infrastructure, and fund these developments.
We will reinforce transport’s role in continuing to create a successful, vibrant, healthy and green city.
The Birmingham Connected White Paper, launched on 13 November 2014, follows on from the Birmingham Mobility Action Plan Green Paper. It is directly linked to the strategies and policies of the Birmingham Development Plan (BDP), which sets out our strategy for jobs and growth, meeting housing needs and sustainable progress.
Investing in a radically improved integrated transport system will realise the city’s potential to support sustainable economic growth, job creation and linking communities.
The vision of Birmingham Connected is to create a transport system which puts the user first and delivers the connectivity that people and businesses require. We will improve people’s daily lives by making travel more accessible, more reliable, safer and healthier and using investment in transport as a catalyst to improve the fabric of our city. We also want to use the transport system as a way of reducing inequalities across the city by providing better access to jobs, training, healthcare and education as well as removing barriers to mobility.
Birmingham Connected’s five core objectives are:
- Efficient Birmingham - Birmingham Connected will facilitate the city’s growth agenda in the most efficient and sustainable way possible, strengthening its economy and boosting jobs.
- Equitable Birmingham - Birmingham Connected will facilitate a more equitable transport system; linking communities together and improving access to jobs and services.
- Sustainable Birmingham - Birmingham Connected will specifically reduce the impacts of air and noise pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption.
- Healthy Birmingham - Birmingham Connected will contribute to a general raising of health standards across the city through the promotion of walking and cycling and the reduction of air pollution.
- Attractive Birmingham - Birmingham Connected will contribute to enhancing the attractiveness and quality of the urban environment in local centres, key transport corridors and the city centre.
If you have any questions about Birmingham Connected email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.