Due to essential maintenance, the website may be unavailable during the weekend. We apologise for any inconvenience.
What is The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version)?
PATHS® stands for Promoting Alternative THinking Strategies.
The programme is a universal, classroom based curriculum that teaches social and emotional learning to primary school children. It involves helping children to:
- recognise emotions and values;
- make constructive choices about personal and social behaviour; and
- show understanding and empathy for others.
The programme teaches children how to label their feelings and apply self-control strategies, leading to improvements in classroom behaviour, resilience and verbal fluency.
The programme was developed in the USA, where it has been taught for over 30 years. It has also been adopted in 25 different countries. The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version) has been running in Birmingham since 2009 and over 60 schools are currently delivering the programme.
How does The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version) fit within the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) framework?
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) teaches the skills we all need to handle ourselves, our relationships, and our work, effectively and ethically. There are five areas of SEL which underpin The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version) curriculum including:
- Relationship skills
- Responsible decision-making
- Social awareness
What support is available?
Each school is assigned a Coach who is available to support you with all aspects of the delivery of the programme, maintain fidelity to the curriculum and monitor pupil engagement.
We also recommend that each school assigns its own Co-ordinator, to help support and promote the delivery of the programme throughout the school.
School support for The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version) includes:
- Training for Senior Leadership Teams, teachers, TAs, dinner supervisors and whole school
- Planned networking opportunities
- Modelling lessons and extension activities
- Team teaching
- Curriculum mapping
- Planning and delivering assemblies and parent workshops
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) advice and updates, including international developments
- Theoretical underpinning of the programme
- Advice on inclusion
- The sharing of ideas and resources
Please feel free to contact the team: firstname.lastname@example.org
PATHS® is a trademark of Channing Bete Company, Inc.
The PATHS® Programme for Schools (UK Version) is the copyrighted property of Carol A. Kusché, Ph.D., Mark T. Greenberg, Ph.D. and the Conduct Problems Prevention Research Group and is distributed under license by Barnardo’s. Enquiries about the original PATHS® programme should be directed to the Channing Bete Company, Inc., www.channing-bete.com.