Due to essential maintenance, the website may be unavailable during the weekend. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Joining the Library in Birmingham for Adults
You will usually be able to borrow books and music recordings straight away and your library card can be used at ALLBirmingham Libraries.
You will be able to borrow
- 10 books or talking books
- 8 music CDs (where available)
Other items available
- 5 DVDs (where available)
- 4 CD-Roms (where available)
- 4 Open Learning packs (where available)
You can keep Top Title DVDs for 2 nights and all other DVDs for up to a week.
You can keep CD-ROMs for 1 week.
You will usually have to pay to borrow talking books, music CDs, CD-Roms and DVDs. (Please ask staff about concessions and special offers.)
You can renew most items (up to a maximum of 4 times) in person, by telephone, or renew online.
If you telephone please have your library card and the items to hand.
Search the online catalogue, then login to place reservations.
What we ask of you when you join the Library
- To bring your library card with you to borrow items from the library.
- To bring items back on time. You will have to pay a charge for items brought back late. (If you are retired or receiving any benefits, you will probably be eligible for concessions.)
- To be responsible for all items borrowed on your library card.
- You will be charged for items that are lost or damaged.
- Your library card may not be used by anyone else
If you are 16 or over, you must provide one proof of name and address. If you are a student studying in Birmingham you will need to provide both proof of your home address and proof of your temporary address.
If you wish to take DVDs or CD-Roms your card will be posted to you.
- Driving Licence
- Medical Card
- Bank Statement*
- Water Bill*
- Rent Book
- Council Tax Book
- Tenancy Agreement
- Gas Bill*
- Electricity Bill*
- Telephone Bill*
- Credit Card Bill*
- Charge Card Bill*
- Other Official Letters*
- TV Licence
How Can Children Join the Library?
Joining the Library for Young People
Inter Library Loan Service.